Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor routers using "ping".

Status
Not open for further replies.

faiyazm

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
ZA
Hi,

We have to monitor about 120+ routers for a customer.
There is no SNMP enabled and we only have the loopback addresses of the routers. I have discovered all of the "routers" and each one shows up as "Undefined".

As a result of no snmp what do I have to reclassify the router as ?? Re-classifying them as a Cisco router does not give me a unispace nor any messages in the event console.
(Router up or down)

We just need to monitor the routers for availability,
(Ping is up or down)and need the messages to get to the event console so that we can log a call.

According to one document the ping agent only works if the hostname can be pinged. (We changed the label of the devices from the ipaddress to a more friendly name)

Has anybody got any ideas ???

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Faiyaz Mayet
South Africa

Your problem is the Unispace and why it isn't being created. Sort out that and you should be fine. I wouldn't think you need to have SNMP enabled to monitor a router once you've manually reclassifed.

What version of Unicenter are you using? Are you monitoring any other devices of that same class successfully?

Hi,

We are running TNG 2.4.2.

We have other Cisco devices which we are monitoring successfully, however we have the SNMP community strings for those devices. I have included the IP address range of the new cisco devices into the dsm to monitor as well and I have even restarted the DSM.

If I do a report of the list of objects to monitor on my DSM the cisco devices ip address are in there but still no Unispace nor any messages in the event console. When I do a nodeview on any of the objects I still get nothing.

Kind regards,
Faiyaz

have you reclassified them as CISCO or CISCO_ROUTER class? Here we are monitoring our cisco routers as CISCO class as opposed to CISCO_ROUTER class. I don't know the reasons historically. Try reclassifying the class and see if you have any luck. Also keep in mind if using the Central DSM management option you'll need to run setdsmname after reclassification.

Hope this helps!

Ok
That's a hard one.

First create the object in the Class Wizard. In this example, let's say we want to create a new Router Lucent. Made it a copy of a Cisco that already exists.

Then you will need to customize some files.

..\TNG\Services\Config\AWS_NSM\DM\ping_22.dat
This file controls what objects have what agents (remember that inside Unispace, the Ping is like an agent)
You will have to add the #mochild. Here is one I've created for my site

#mochild
mochild_parent :Router:Lucent
mochild_index :NextIndex
mochild_child :Agent:ping

Then, open ..\TNG\Services\Config\AWS_NSM\SYS\nodes.dat
Here you need to add your newly created router to the list of nodes for the DSM to monitor. This lines controls how DSM monitors the object

#
! Class definition for Router:Lucent
!
!------------------------------------------------------------ Router:Lucent
!
#moclass
moclass_classname :Router:Lucent
moclass_namesrc :MANDATORY_NAME
moclass_proreq :
moclass_parent :
moclass_disrt :NO_NEED_DISCOVER
moclass_disreq :
moclass_childtype :OPTIONAL_CHILDREN
moclass_childclass :
moclass_numreq :
moclass_statert :pROPAGATE
moclass_statevent :
moclass_statefld :
moclass_recfgrt :CATCH_RECONFIG_EVENT
moclass_recfgevt :NAU_RECONFIG $hostName $data
moclass_ackevt :

#moclprop
moclprop_class :Router:Lucent
moclprop_index :NextIndex
moclprop_prop :menu
moclprop_value :NodeMenu

#moclprop
moclprop_prop :+moOnReset
moclprop_value :Root::moOnResetTopLevel();

#namesyn
ns_class :Router:Lucent
ns_descr :Lucent
ns_syn :Lucent
ns_bitmap :ROUTER01.ICO

#moclprop
moclprop_prop :nodeClass
moclprop_value :Router:Lucent

#moclprop
moclprop_prop :eek:s
moclprop_value :Lucent

The last ting should be a RESETDSM

Luck

Américo Alonso
Certified Unicenter Engineer
Sonda Uruguay S.A.
Tel./Fax: +598 2 917-0631
americo.alonso@sonda.com.uy

momosapiens got it spot on there.

TNG uses the "SNMP Mib2 agent" not the ping agent for heartbeat monitoring of network devices. You wil find an entry in the ip.dat file (tng\services\config\aws_nsm\dm on your DSM server) like this:
#mochild
mochild_parent :Router:CISCO
mochild_index :11
mochild_child :IP_Interfaces

All you should have to do is to add an entry into the ping_22.dat file like this:
#mochild
mochild_parent :Router:CISCO
mochild_index :NextIndex
mochild_child :Agent:ping

And run resetdsm.
This will force the DSM to monitor the routers using standard Ping as well as the SNMP agent - so devices without SNMP will also be covered.

hi

the problem is mor eeasy I think,
by default the ping agent is ot dicrovered for all cisico devices
you need to make a dsm wizard, in the third window you have two columns, select the ping agent in one of them and on the other one select all classes you want they have the ping agent discovered.
save and make a reset DSM
in the 2.4.2 release you have a new file called GWIIPFLTII.DAT, in this file you need to but all subnet you want to monitor as in the GWIPFLT.DAT
now when a new object is discovered in the 2d map you need to make this prompt comand in your DSM BOX

SETDSMNAME
this command allow the dsm to monitor object in subnet defined in the GWIPFLTII.DAT

to verify if your object is monitored by DSM you need to make the following prompt command on the DSM BOX

WVGETHOST

fred

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply.

I took the easy way out and reclassified the routers as a Bull server. The servers by default come with a ping policy. I did not want to add the ping policy to the Cisco routers, as we are monitoring 300+ other Cisco routers and that would have added a "ping" to all of them as well.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Regards,
Faiyaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back