Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvchez123

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
US
A simple question about monitor compatibility. i have a pc and wonder if there is any way to hook up a Mac monitor to it (seems like it should...) the monitor cables have different pin count, so I don't know it would be as easy as getting a pc /mac converter for the cable or there is another proprietary incompatibility between mac & pc before I embark on that project. thanks

Most PC video cards output VGA video which consists of five separate signals: red, green, blue, h-sync, and v-sync.

Assuming the MAC monitor is compatible then an adapter would be the way to go. Do you have a model number for the monitor in question?

What are the pin descriptions? I've seen two types of "dshell" plugs for PC's (I'm ignoring R-B-G RCA plugs). There is 3 rows of pins (SuperVGA) and 2 rows of pins (VGA). All modern monitors have the 3 row type. Since any (not many) Macs I've worked on, the monitor came with the system so I never looked. I know I've never seen a monitor sold just "for Macs"). All the new "flat panel" monitors are sold to be used for both. The deciding factor is the output of the video card.

I think I've seen adaptors for this. I know you can't just plug it in directly unless the monitor also has a SVGA connector.

You can see the pinouts here:
It looks like they're pretty similar, though I don't know about the voltages, and syncs might work differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back