Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

monitor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gren

MIS
Mar 10, 2005
US
For a couple of weeks now my monitor has been doing some wierd stuff. The bottom of the screen keeps shaking and I don't know what's causing it to do that. At first it didn't shake a lot but its starting to shake more and more. its driving me nuts...
eek.gif

And just today, a dark grayish line just appeared near the middle of the screen and won't go away.
Is there any way to fix any either problem?

Is there a printer close to the monitor? The magnetic field from the transformer in the power supply could be causing the problem. Try switching it off initially to see if the shake goes away. If so, move the printer away from the display as much as possible. When you think you have nowhere else to go - Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Speakers are also a major cause of monitor distortions. The cheper end of the market do not properly sheild the magnets inside the speakers. Another thing that couses 'wobble' is usualy a motor, I often get this if my desk fan is too close (up to 50cm away) to the monitor. Again it is all to do with electo-magnetic and radio inteferance.

Sometimes monitors need to be de-gaussed. Check your monitor manual for instructions for de-gaussing.

Have you changed monitor settings or did the problem just rear it's ugly head? Improper monitor settings can cause problems like you described.

The bad news is monitors do wear out.

Forgot to add..you could have problems with your video card or a bad video cable. Is there another PC to test your monitor and cable with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back