Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor or Video Card Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooner8

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
My monitor is now showing gray lines of varying thickness all across and up and down my screen. Since this monitor is about 4 or 5 years old (17 inch), could it simply be going out, or is it more likely a video card problem (which is only about 2 years old)? The monitor also seems to be getting dimmer.

Most likely your monitor. Just use process of elimination. Run your moniter on a different computer and see what happens.

I brought it to work and had the computer guys hook it up to their computers and it worked fine. They suggested I then try re-seating the video card, which I did, but it didn't solve the problem. If the monitor worked at work, and re-seating the video card did nothing, then my guess is it's the video card.

You won't know for sure until you try the card out at work too, but it sure seems to be the vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back