Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sil3ntR34per

Technical User
May 30, 2011
US
This issue is the first time this has ever happened and no settings have been changed from when the monitor worked properly and now. I have a ViewSonic VA912b monitor that has just recently started turning off at random times for about 5 seconds, and then turns back on. The standby light is constantly orange, when its normally supposed to be green in operating mode, as if it is in standby mode, but I have full functionality of the monitor. Even now as I am typing this, the light is orange. I've never seen this issue before and the light itself is not the bother, its the screen turning off for about 5 seconds at random times. Any suggestions?

Replace monitor...

seems that the monitor may have gotten flaky, to really test this hook up the monitor to another PC and watch how it behaves:

if the same symptoms are to be seen - then it is a monitor fault...

if the symptoms disappear, then it may just be a flaky graphics card driver (update driver) or a flaky graphics card...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Could it be something in the power-save settings on your PC ? Check Control Panel, Power Options, Power Scheme, and see what the 'turn off monitor' time period is.

Fred Wagner

Sil3ntR34per,
If it's an option, try the monitor on a different PC to see if the problem follows. I've dealt with a lot of HP monitors in the past with similar issues that had to be sent back in for warranty repair.

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Also, try unplugging the power from the monitor and re-connecting. Sometimes the things that shouldn't make a difference with a computer or associated device seem to be the best/easiest fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back