Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor is stretched out of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hey, My monitor is all stretched out. The start button is so far off my monitor to the left I can't see it. The clock is so far right I can't see it either. I tried the buttons on my monitor to change the dimenisions and that didn't work. Any help? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

Assuming u have a Windows box:

Sounds like your display / resolution settings are off.

To remedy this, go to start->settings->control panel->display->settings->screen area, and try adjusting the resolution. Sounds like it may be set to low.

Try 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.

the other this is that my taskbar on the bottom has like edges that are thick. Thick borders is the best way to describe it. So maybe there is something else wrong?

Windows 98???????
Right click onto blank peice os screen,
Press properties,
Press settings,
What have you got?????
As a loose rule
14 inch monitor 640x480
15" 800x600
17" 1024x768
Now if you carn't get anything other than a low res like 640x480 (by moving the bar or altering with the pull down arrow), then it is likely that your graphics drivers are not loaded properly.
Don't know your setup but they will need reinstalling.
Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Sounds like your video adapter refresh rate is in need of adjustment. Just go into the advanced settings for display and click on adapter. Try a setting of 60 or 70 Hz.

Hope this helps,

zed

The refresh rate is the amount of times per second the image is displayed on the screen and does not effect the image size.
Lower refresh rates can appear as a flickering screen and be a strain on the eyes, so for that reason frequences above 65htz are recommended (be careful not to set higher than the monitor can display) or you will end up with an unviewable image and no way to adjust back.
It is your resolution that is the problem (too low)
Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Good call zedzorander! i forgot all about that. Paparazi is right on point. I just "experimented" w/ my settings and jacked the refresh rate to the max (145hz....d'oh) which promptly caused my screen to go BLANK. Nada. Nothing. After staring at the screen for 2min and trying a cold reboot to no avail I finally was able to get my screen back by booting into safe mode w/ the VGA adapter Disabled.

You are right paparazi, but it seems to me that some video cards and/or monitors can only support certain resolutions at a particular refresh rate.

If I'm wrong just let me know,

zed

And me also, I try not to comment about things I know little about but of course I have a guess, and at times get it completely wrong! or miss the point all together, I am only human after all, and make mistakes like the next man.
Refresh rate is usually determined by the monitor and not the graphics adapter so much.
Generally speaking,the more expensive the monitor the higher the resolution and refresh rate it can usually display. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

I'm the same way. The reason I mentioned the refresh rate is due to fact it happend to me with a couple of ati cards and a older monitor. The only settings that would work were 60 Hz and adapter default regardless of the sceen resolution. I wasn't saying benzito was wrong. axeladam never did tell us what type of video adapter or monitor he was using. By the way, I have read your posts and in my estimation you do a very fine job. Sometimes a guess is all you have to work with.

Have fun,

zed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back