Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor help PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slack3r

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
Ok i just got a new monitor....well its new to me.
Its a 21" flat screen. Dont confuse it with a 21" flat panel screen. Its a normal monitor but the screen is flat. Well the problem is i got it from my work for free. Its a pretty nice monitor except there is 1 problem. It has been dropped 1+ times or at least it looks that way. The thing is is that I am using it now and it works pretty good. The only problem i have is that in the bottom right and bottom left hand corner (where it looks like it has been dropped) they colors are not right. It looks like someone held up a magnet to it in the corners. Its kinda a greenish yellow color. Can i fix this?? I mean a 21" monitor will run you about $350 - $700, and if i can get one for free, even better.

Thx.

Does it have a manual "degauss" button? Try degaussing it.
If this doesn't work you could open up the case and see if anything is knocked out of place--be careful not to touch any high voltage and make sure it is unplugged from the wall. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I opened one up one day, I had a similar problem except the green...(pixels?)..was taking over the color. I opened up the monitor, and there was a small area that contains the three color controls. They were not colored according to what they controlled! I had to use a small insulated screwdriver to turn them and they have a little bit of electronics glue on them from the factory to keep them in place. There are 2 other screw that have something to do with the picture itself (didn't mess with them that much). You could try them and see but be forwarned, this task is a dangerous undertaking in any capacity because of high-voltage! Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Sounds like it needs deguasing or the internal mask {behind, inside the crt, is slipped or broken.

try

a) deguass

b) If you get the right polarity magnet. No i dont know the one. If you rub it in the area, it might sort it. Be carefull though because you can cause the good bits to go the opposite way (different colour)

c) The guns are knocked out of alignment - open up jobby (not my cup 'o' tea)

HTH

Dan ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back