Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor going dim

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyGroves

Programmer
Aug 13, 2003
IE
I have a CRT monitor whose display has been getting steadily darker over a period of time, although the monitor's brightness and contrast settings are at 100%. It's a Dell 15-inch, model M570 I think, about 5 years old.

Is it time to bid it goodbye, or does anybody know of anything I can do to rescue it?

It's probably giving up the ghost.
Install it on another system, or connect a different one to your system.
If yours looks dim an another system, or if another monitor looks ok on yours, then it's time for a replacement.

Your video adapter driver may have a Gamma correction feature to increase the display brightness.

You can get a 17" replacement now days for less than what you paid for the 15" 5 years ago. Sounds like the CRT is on it's last leg. Do yourself a favor and put it to rest.

I tried using another monitor of the same model and age, which works fine.

Looks like I'll just have to give it to the binman.

Thanks everybody.

<green hat on>
Or get it repaired and give it to charity. Some charities will even take it and repair it themselves.

It just seems such a pity to chuck things like monitors into landfill sites!
</green hat off>

Nelviticus

You're absolutely right.

I have plenty of old computer equipment, mostly in working order, and instead of cannibalising it for a few small parts and dumping the rest, I would be happy to see somebody else making good use of it.

Trouble is, a lot of the time, it's just not worth people's while using old gear that would have only a limited life-span, and has difficulty with modern software and peripherals; it just causes more problems and expense than it saves.

In the case of this monitor, the problem is probably something like terminal phosphor-burn, which I would imagine can only be repaired by replacing the tube – hardly worth it.

However, I'll keep an eye out for local charities who might be interested in old computer gear. If they're happy to take it, I'm happy to give it.

At the very least check for local recycling centers that accept computer equipment. There are tons of lousy stuff in a monitor that should not end in a landfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back