Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor going Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbv

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
US
I've had a computer/monitor at work for over a year. The monitor has started going black. Pressing a key or moving the mouse will not wake the monitor up. The orange power light goes on; if I switch monitors, the computer is still alive and well. I used the monitor on another computer--no problems. I used another monitor on the computer in question--same problem as with it's original montior. I put a new video card in it and decreased the refresh rate.

Becuase I cannot access the monitor at all after this happens, I shut the computer down and start it back up, and the monitor will work for a while. before going black again. Help please!

I think your description isnt quite clear.

Are you saying this monitor only goes bad connected to one computer yet it works connected to other computers?
If thats the case its either some setting or your video card is failing.

If the monitor wont work with any, or eventually fails when hooked to all different computers, then the monitor is failing.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Check to make sure the power options are not set to have the moniter sleep.
Wayne

Yes, I am saying the monitor fails only when connected to a certain computer. I already replaced the video card in the computer and turned all sleep and power saving options off. A different monitor also failed in the same computer. The monitor works fine connected to another computer. I don't think it's the monitor; but replacing the video card didn't help either.

Sorry, have to ask. Is there on-board video as well?
Do you have the settings right in the bios?
Is there a jumper on the mobo, if so maybe it came off?
What os are you running?
You might want to re-install the video card drivers.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

thanks for all the input! a new motherboard fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back