Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor Display Settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBlack

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
US
I recently installed a new hard drive into a tower that was left to me for repair but never collected. I was planning on using it to replace my wife's old computer (on its last legs after nearly 8 years). Unfortunately, for some reason, I can only get 2 or 16 color for settings. I've tried everything I know & am completely stumped. I've checked for driver updates, disconnected & reconnected the monitor and even booted under safe mode. I reconnected her old tower and was able to set settings for more than 16 color there so its not the monitor. I clicked 'Del' to get into settings & could see no problem there nor any conflicts in Device Manager. I even tried installing that hard drive into a spare tower I keep here for testing all to no avail. FYI: both towers (old & 'new') have 64MG of RAM. The tower that was left here had a Western Digital ATA 40GB hd with Windows 2000 for an OS. I replaced it with a WD 80GB ATA and installed 98SE. I'm thinking of slaving her old drive to the new one but not sure that would resolve the problem. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can change the display settings? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Two possibilities:
1) Find the display adapter type and download the correct drivers from the M/B manufacturer.

2) Determine the chipset of the display adapter part of the M/B and download drivers from the chip manufacturer.

When you find the drivers there are 3 different ways to load them in:
1) Hardware detection
2) Setup program
3) Refresh drivers with the correct ones
and generally only one of the 3 will work.

Belarc Advisor may be of some help.
Debug display of the C000-CC00 area may show a manufacturer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks Ed!
Belarc Advisor was able to show me the M/B & chip set manufacturer. After much research, I was finally able to download a new driver for the adapter. Almost had to sign away my 1st born son to get it. It use to be so easy to upgrade drivers but now, the Internet wants more from you. Alas, some non-entity named Bob Doe, living on 1 Main St., in Nowhere, CT with a fictional E-mail address may receive some spam & junk mail. Unfortunately, the download came with some malware which I was able to easily remove. Installed the driver and all is fine. Thanks so much for your help. [thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back