Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor / ATI Video Card Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmbrando

Technical User
Aug 14, 2001
US
I have an old Relisys Re-1420 Monitor. I added an ATI 8MB video card. Everything works great on the 640x480 display settings, but when I try and change the display settings from 640x480 to 800x600 or 1024x768 to play the more complex video games and programs, the displays scrambles to wavy lines. Is this a monitor problem or a video card problem? Is the video card too sophisticated for the monitor or do I have a faulty video card? Thanks for any and all advice.
Chris Cmbrando
In the Beginning I was but the Leaner,
Now, I will become the Master.

To be perfectly honest, your problem could be either. I would lean more towards the monitor as an issue. ATI video card drivers can be buggy (if they are complete), but if this one works in lower res. better than higher res., especially if your monitor is old, I can be 95% certain that it is your monitor. Even a brand new 17" monitor is under $100. Try one before you buy another. Please write back to tell me what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back