Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor a Cisco Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitel33

Technical User
May 6, 2009
US
New to Cisco stuff. I need to monitor a phone that for some reason goes out of service every other day according to Cisco engineers i need a patch (witch we already did) but my boss is not that sure that the patch will fix the problem. so we are looking for a type of software that can ping or dial the number every 5 minutes to test.

thanks,

A simple batch file comes to mind. For example, let's say that our target phone has an ip address of 10.220.238.75 and we want to ping the phone once every 5 minutes. A typical batch file to do this, on an infinite loop would look something like this:

We'll call our batch file "test.bat" it's contents are:

ping 10.220.238.75
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 300000 >NUL
call test.bat

This is an endless loop, where we ping the device, then on the next line we ping a non-existent device for example, 1.1.1.1 and then tell the ping command to wait 5 minutes (300,000 milliseconds) for a reply. On the next line the 'call' statement says do it again.

Use a control-C to break out of the loop.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

One more thing - should go without saying, but whatever you do, do not name your batch file 'ping.bat'

Yes but that would be manually I see you put a timer but I guess is for the ping, any way to make it send an email at least.
thanks

Why not use PRTG or WhatUp Gold and monitor the uptime by PINGing the phone ?
You have the capability of sending alerts by e-mail also.

Sorry for late reply.

You didn't say what model Cisco phone you had, but on most of the Cisco display sets you can see and review network stats to see how long the phone has been up without resetting.

On 79XX series phones press "Settings" then scroll down and select "STATUS" then in the next screen scroll down and select "Network Statistics". In this screen you will see (among other info) the Elapsed time in days, hours, minutes and seconds since the last time the phone reset (as it would if you lost connectivity)

You can also see this data remotely with a nifty utility called Phone Remote 3 from the nice folks at VOIP Integration (dot com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back