Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moneysaver comp advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilroy1441

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
US
I am building a computer for a friend who is on a budget who uses their computer mostly for surfing the internet and email, and printing digital camera pictures. i have an extra k7s5a that i will use. here are the other parts i am considering using.

SAMSUNG 40GB 7200RPM $59.00
KDS 17" CRT Monitor $109.00
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ $72.00
ATI Radeon 7500 $44.50
MITSUMI 3.5INCH Floppy $6.99
256MB Kingston pc2700 $43.00
ATX MID-TOWER CASE w/POWER SUPPLY $25.00
ASUS CRW5224A 52X24X52 CDRW $41.99
TOTAL $401.50

If you have any suggestion on how to make it a better or more cost effective system i would appreciate it.

The motherboard is the only thing I would change but as you already have that then thats not an option.
Just that it is old technology and a better budget option might be a single channel Nforce2 or Via KT600 chipset based motherboard.
There are a few Via KM400 chipset motherboards out there with integrated graphics that aren't too bad (Asrock and Gigabyte both make there versions) but they aren't recommended for gamers or 3D apps.
I would have suggested going for PC2100 but then PC2700 is almost the same price now.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Hi,

Install Linux as the OS rather than any version of Windows - to save on the license costs.

John

You should not use PC2700 memory with a slower speed processor. It is best to match the bus speed of the processor to the memory. For $20.00 more you could buy a Barton Core Processor. If you used a new motherboard, you could get one with integrated Video and save the money on the video card. If you are going to stick with a 266 Bus speed Athlon I suggest a XP2400+ and max out the processor speed.

I wouldnt go with a Samsung Hard Drive because they are a newcomer in the industry. I would suggest a Maxtor or WD hard drive.

I would put together a couple of possible packages and show your friend the costs and let your friend decide. If you went out on a limb and suggested the latest Asus A7N8X-VM and used the XP2500+ Barton Core you may get better cooling for a cooler runnning processor and an integrated Video that can be upgraded if needed. Speeze makes a nice CPU cooler (Falcon Rock) with a 8CM Low-Noise Fan for about $9.00 at
You might also put together a low-cost deal for an Intel Option and see what it would cost to buy a DELL or an IBM. Sometimes DELL will throw in a free 15" monitor a good deal on an upgrade to a 17" monitor and also a free CD Burner and free shipping for a Fall XMAS Deal. Intel will lower prices on 26 October, but that will not effect the low-end prices much.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

anyone know if you can just put in your own floppy and cdrw on the dell's or do they blow up cuz of the powersupply is like 100Watts and only Dell's "Special" equipment will work on it. Thanks.

-Laughter works miracles.

Thanks, I don't own a Dell but my uncle is getting one and his HP Pavilion xv886 computer totally crapped out. I can't get it to format regardless of how I try. I have not tried the restore disk though. I've tried booting with linux disk, win2k disk, win98 disk. No success with getting it to format or fdisking it. I've ran out of options except the restore CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back