Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOH Clicking Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbell

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2001
I have CUCM: System version: 7.1.2.20000-2

We have a loud MOH file for a while and did not know that the MOH generating clicking sounds while the caller is on hold. Recently, we imported another WAV file with lower voloume then we noticed the clicking sound. We know the original WAV file has no clicking sound.

Any idea?

We re-imported the file several times with different import level and the result was the same.

if you use the old file does it have a clickicg sound like the new one?
If not what makes you think this is the MOH server and not a corrupt or badly recorded wave file?

The old MOH file has the clicking sound as well but the voloume was high and you have to pay attention to the music to notice it.

THe original wav file hsd no clicking sound.

The process to import MOH file is:
- adjust the level of volumne before import a wav file
- import the file.
- select the wav to be used as MOH file.

If the original WAV is clean, then there got to be the Call Manager. I may be wrong. Any idea to fix this is appreciated.

This is what I would do for starters. Point the MOH server to the free default file that came with call manager.
Is there a noise in that one as well?
I've never run into what you are seeing here that's why I am asking you to do this to eliminate the server or the wave file.

You might be running into a sw bug but I doubt it. have you restarted the MOH server? when was the last time you rebooted the servers? You might want to give that a shot as well.

If it is not the wave file and reboots/restarts don't fix the issue I would say a TAC case is your next step.

Let us know.

whykap:

I tried the free MOH file. It doesn't have the click. So, I think is the importing software has a bug. It is already a TAC case. I have done so many TAC lately that I think I know those people already.

To name two here:
- Wireless laptop dropping connection randomly.
- Some Unity users cannot use the phone to access voice mail.

It would have been a 5 seconds job with PBX. It turned out a many days job for Call Manager!!

Will let you know what TAC find!

I don't mean to sound rude but I guarantee you all your issues are configuration issues. What's your previous experience with cisco IPTEL products?
This is a mature system that works as designed. I am not saying it has no bugs but what you are describing is usually wrong configuration or approach.

There's a learning curve with everything.

I'll take a stab on your issues:
Wireless dropping connection (not a VoIP issue by the way):
Not enough coverage or overlapping coverage with overlapping channels. It could also be an issue with your laptop wireless adaptors. Make sure they are running the latest firmaware the manufacturer offers.

Unity:
Are the users moving their voicemails off their inbox to another folder? If so they will not be able to access it from the phone. Unity by design only has access to the main inbox.
If that is not your issue then it is a permission issue with exchange not allowing unity to access those voice mails. SOLUTION: rerun parmissions wizzard.

As far as MOH goes, I would say if the default file works there is nothing wrong with cucm. To prove that delete the default file and then reimport it. See if the clicking sound happens then.

By the way this is all stuff that TAC will also ask you to do for basic troubleshooting.

Good luck and hang in there. Once you get a good hand on this you will realize it's not that much harder or easier than any PBX out there.

Another thing to look at on the Unity issue;

Goto the "line" for that users phone and verify they are not set to something like NoVoiceMail or None. They should be set to something like Default to allow them access to the voicemail system from their phone.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

DallasBDF:

Thanks for your suggestion to look at the Call Manager configuration. May I give you a little more details of this problem.
- We upgraded from Unity 4 to Unity 6.
- Then we have several users starting having problem using their phone to access their voice mail box. After they pressed their password, Unity would say the voice mail box is not available right now.
- It does not affect every one. It only affected may be 5% of the users. Since just about all users get their voice mail via Outlook, I cannot tell how many users are affected for sure.
- We do have some users that insist to have this buy fix as soon as possible even thou they are not missing any voice mail.
- I had more than three web ex session with TAC already. They are still looking at this.
- At the beginning, TAC insisted to have all patches applied before they would talk with us.
- As you know each time you apply patches to Windows you must reboot. That means voice mail would go down. That means I must schedule it and justify for any system down time.
- I don't think it is a configuration issue because the problem happens after an upgrade.

Problem like this one and simple thing like MOH has taken up too must of my time.

For the MOH, TAC just asked me today to send them my WAV file for them to test in their lab!

Thanks! KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back