Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Module Last-Modified timestamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
In Access 2003 (and I assume 2000 and xp as well) I can't depend on the 'Modified' date of the modules anymore--all modules, even ones I haven't touched in months, show today's date as modified.

I know MS went to the new vba environment with Access 2000 and up, and I'm guessing this is likely why. I just wanted to verify that this is a new 'feature', and not some isolated bug on my installation of Access.
--Jim

Remou,
Thanks, but no, that article talks about dates *not* being updated when the object actually was updated. My issue is that every time I open the database, *all* modules have a Last Modified time of whatever the last one was modified.

As I'd said, I know it's a new environment from '97, and maybe because they consider the whole vba environment to be 'one object', but then why list a separate create/modified date? So my question is--is this the way it should be, and it'll never change, or is this a bug, and...it'll still never change.
--Jim

Do you have your database set to compact on close?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Jim,

I have exactly the same issue. I don't remember this being a problem in Access 2000 or 97 (never used XP so I can't comment). It happens to form objects as well. I'd assumed it was a bug as I can see no logical reason to want this behaviour.

Duane - None of my databases are set to compact on close, so I don't believe it is caused by this.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

No compact on close here either.

I'm guessing that the same reason that modules are not individually securable is possibly the root of why the modified timestamps aren't individually settable.
--Jim

Hmmm... could well be. Perhaps just displaying the last modified date of the VBA project?

I'm pretty sure it does the same for forms and reports as well, but as these are ultimately just classes I guess that still follows.

The weird thing is the more I think about it I'm pretty sure this didn't occur in Access 2000, which was the first release of Access with the proper VBE and modules were no longer securable through Workgroup Administrator (I never did like the fact that they'd done that).

Ed Metcalfe.

I have Access 2000, and I find that my modules are individually timestamped. Changing a module does not changed the modified date, but Compact and Repair changes all the dates.

Access 2003 seems to have a few of these annoying "features". :(

Ed Metcalfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back