Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying the dividing line in Word 2007 footnotes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLiguori

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
IT
Hi all,
When one creates a footnote in 2007 Word, a short line is automatically inserted dividing the footnotes from the text. However, if you have a long footnote that spills over into the next page, the dividing line that appears on the second page is no longer short. It goes the width of the page, sometimes going beyond the margins I have set. This happened in 2003 as well, but in 2003, one could highlight the dividing line and adjust its length. I cannot find a way to do this in 2007. Clicking on the line, or in the box around the line does not give access to any formatting or property controls for the line. I tried styles, but they only affect the text part of the footnote.

Is there any way to modify the footnote dividing line? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if this is a bug or a feature of the program! Thanks in advance.

McLigs

In Draft View (what used to be called Normal View) - on the References tab, click on "Show Notes" to open the Footnotes window. In the dropdown at the top of it, select "Footnote Separator" or ("Footnote Continuation Separator") and edit away.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Thanks Tony.... That did it!!!!!

McLigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back