Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying stored procedure SQL from front end code 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beren1h

Technical User
Jul 19, 2001
US
Hello all,

I am currently working on a project in Access that runs several slight variations on a query that has it's SQL statement altered through code before it is run. Something like changing:

SELECT * FROM Table WHERE X > 1

to

SELECT * FROM Table WHERE X < 1 AND X >-2

There is a chance that I may get to run this off SQL Server and I was wondering if I could do the same thing to a stored procedure. I'm thinking I could get the performance gain from the stored procedure, but not have to write many stored procedures that do almost the same thing.

Any advice?

You'll have to use dynamic SQL to do this in a stored procedure. That will negate any performance benefits you might have received from using a stored procedure. When changing the basic query structure, I'd recommend keeping the logic in the client. Just my 2-bits. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains &quot;Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers&quot; to your questions.

Fudge...

I was afraid of that...

Thanks...

If you're just changing the criteria and not the tables you are returning data from it is often possible to write a sql statement that returns different values based on parameters. I wrote a stored proc recently that in some cases I wished to run a number of checks on a range of investor numbers (IN_No) or all the investor numbers. Alternatively I wanted to run the checks for a range of Planners (IN_PL_ID) or all of the planners. This is the part of the where clause which I used to return the records I wanted (@IsInv is a bit parameter which signified whether the range was Investors or planners, @nFrom and @nTo are the range - they both have a default of 0) .
Code:
		AND ((IN_No >=
			CASE 
			WHEN ((ISNULL(@nFrom, 0) <> 0)) THEN @nFrom
			ELSE IN_No
			END
		AND IN_No <=
			CASE 
			WHEN ((ISNULL(@nTo, 0) <> 0)) THEN @nTo
			ELSE IN_No
			END
		AND (@IsInv = 1))