Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying Schema.ini File

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseH

MIS
Aug 9, 2001
US
I made a change to an existing import file. The problem is that there is a schema.ini file that describes the file. I can not find it to modify it. Can you tell me how to find it. If you would, be specific with the instructions. I can not find the advanced button MS refers to.

Thanks in Advance for the Help

The Schema.ini file should be in the same directory as the file to be imported. If you changed the structure of the file to be imported, the error message you get may be a little obscure in that instead of a Schema.ini file, an Import Specification is actually being used. If you do not find a Schema.ini file, look for a specification. To find the specification, go to the tables window and right-click then start a manual import text (.txt) procedure (or go to File|Get External Data|Import). Select Text files from "Files of type" field at the bottom and browse for your import file. The Import Text Wizard will open and you should see the "Advanced" button you said you couldn't find. Click the Advanced button and you should then see a button allowing you to select a specification.

But! If you changed the import file structure, it probably will require you the change more that just the Schema or specification. Most likely, a table will have to be revised to accomodate the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back