Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying numerous records - year part of the date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabase

Programmer
Apr 2, 2004
PT
Hi,

I am trying to modify the year part of the date on various fields in a FP table. I am trying to add 1000 to the year part of all records that fall below 1900. I am trying to use the replace all function, but can't get the syntax right.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dabase

Can you post your code so we can see where the problem is?

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Apologies:

I meant to type: "I am trying to add 1000 to the year part of all records that fall below 1000".

Thanks
Dabase

My code:

REPLACE ALL Year(dbirth) WITH (Year(dbirth) + {^1000}) FOR (Year(dbirth) < {^1000})

The Error I am getting:

Command contains unrecognised phrase/keyword

Thanks
Dabase

Use the gomonth function:

gomonth(date,numberofmonths)

eg:

x=gomonth(date(),1200) &&x = date + 100 years

Dabase,

Just to add to mm0000 suggestion, try this:
Code:
REPLACE ALL dbirth ;
   WITH gomonth(dbirth, 1200) ;
   FOR (Year(dbirth) < 1000)

-- AirCon --

REPLACE ALL Year(dbirth) WITH (Year(dbirth) + {^1000}) FOR (Year(dbirth) < {^1000})

You cannot replace just the year portion of a date field, you have to replace the whole date.

Try
Code:
REPLACE ALL Year(dbirth) WITH GOMONTH(dbirth,12000)
 FOR (Year(dbirth) < {^1000})

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Beware of typos.

Code:
REPLACE ALL dbirth WITH GOMONTH(dbirth,12000)
 FOR (Year(dbirth) < {^1000})

P.S. this will add 1000 years to the date, as oppose to Aircon's suggestion is the same as this, but will only add 100 years.

Mike Gagnon

Thanks for all the help on this one. Just a shame that you cannot modify just the year.

Thanks
Dabase

Date fields are stored in an 8-digit format such as "20040406" inside the table. While you could theoretically use FOPEN() and locate the proper fields and change just the year there, you'd have to be sure of the offset for the table header and be sure you changed only the correct part of each record as you stepped through the table. Very awkward, time-consuming to code, and at high risk of a terrible data-corruption accident. It is faster and safer to use the methods such as GOMONTH() described above. Sorry, but you can't replace part of a field, you have to replace the whole field even if changing only part of it.

dbMark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back