Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifying Group Policy From Command 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayTaco

MIS
Sep 24, 2015
US
I'm trying to disable balloon notifications (so users don't install Windows 10 by accident) on several remote computers.
I'm hoping to accomplish this by running a simple command rather than copying a configuration file or logging in remotely.
Running the command remotely isn't the issue, finding a command to edit group policy is.
Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this?

Try gpupdate

I don't know how it is used but I know it is one of the commands that our sys admins use.

gpupdate simply forces group policy to be updated. Or, as Microsoft put it: Refreshes local and Active Directory-based Group Policy settings, including security settings. For it to have any impact, the group policy itself would have to have been modified. Which is what the OP is asking - how can we change the group policy?

There are a couple of ways the requested affect can be achieved, although neither through simple commands (although the registry modifications can be 'run'). Rather than type a new set of guidance on ways that this can be achieved, here's a page that already provides some ideas (and the necessary registry merge files):
(I should point out that the Group Policy settings for this are held in the Administrative templates - which means they are also just simple registry modifications)

Thanks strongm,
What I'm going to do is configure one Administrative template as I want it and then copy it to the other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back