Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modify Mail50 template 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasnorway

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
NO
I once asked about changing users ACL to allow Adminstrators to have access to mail. I was informed the best would be to modify the Mail template, so that future users will have this by default. I find that I can not modify the template on the server (no add button available). Can I modify the template on my local system, shut down my server and replace that template with the modified one from local. I wanted to ask first, did not want to screw something up.

Thanks

Just open up the client on the server and you should be able to make the necessary adjustments.

A few things to keep in mind when changing the ACL on a template.
1- Any person or group name added unmodified to the ACL of a template will only apply to the template file and will NOT be apply to a new DB created from this template. So if I put John Doe/MyBusiness in the ACL and give it Manager access it will not result in John Doe being recognise as manager of any new database created from the modified template.

2- To create a "template" ACL entry that would be apply to any new new database created from the template you must place the user or group name between square braquet in the ACL. exp: [John Doe/MyBusiness]. This ACL entry with the associated role and access rights will become part of the ACL of any NEW database create from the modified template.

3- The "template" ACL entries have NO effect on the template file ACL. If you want to give Manager rights to your admin group on the template file itself you must also add them on a separate line in the ACL. Here's a typical basic ACL used by many corporation for the Domino mail templates:
Default - No Access
[Default] - No Access
Anonymous - No Access
[Anonymous] - No Access
Administrators - Manager
[Administrators] - Manager

The line with the braquet will be used as the default ACL of the new DB created from the template. The ones without the braquet are to control access to the template itself.

4- Finaly.... the bad news: Those ACL changes will only work on NEW databases. If you wish to apply the new entries to existing databases you will have to use a agent and have it run by a user with manager rights to the database.

P.S. All templates on a Domino server should includes a ACL entry giving manager access to the system administrator. This is not include by default in the files supplied by Lotus but the server setup process does offer the option of adding the "administrator" group to the ACL of all Template on the server.

P.P.S. "Anonymous = No access" should also be include in ALL databases and templates if your server is open to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back