Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modify existing INI file with Wise for Windows Professional Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikC

Programmer
Jun 29, 2003
NZ
How do I modify/update an existing ini file during my installation? I could do this previously using Wise InstallMaster Script editor by using a "while statement". But Wise for Windows Professional Installer does not have this Action?

This is probably an obvious question, but I am not familiar with Wise for Windows Professional Installer...Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

NikC,

In the Installation Expert there is an INI Files area. Simply create the folder and Import the INI you want to edit. Any changes that need to be made to a pre-existing INI file will be made. You should only have entries specifically for the program you are installing (such as adding Add-On entries to the Lotus Notes notes.ini file).

HtH,

Rob
robschultz@yahoo.com
-Focus on the solution to the problem, not the obstacles in the way.-

Thanks Rob,

Yes, I can create a new ini file using the Installation Expert.
What I am trying to achieve during my installation is to increment the sections within the ini file based on the number of sections required by the installer. I can get the number of sections required as I have created a new dialogue box with a numeric edit field.

So really my question is: how do I get my ini file to create multiple sections based on a number entered into an editable field in a dialogue box?

One of two ways comes to mind:

1) If there are a finite number of entries allowed then in a feature create several conditions (NumSections=1, NumSections=2, etc.). Place a modified INI file in each condition. Your dialog box will need to appear before the WriteINIValues action. Uninstallation probably won't clean the entries unless you ask the question again.

2) Use VBScript/JScript and the FileSystemObject to programatically create the INI file based on the number of sections.

HtH,

Rob
robschultz@yahoo.com
-Focus on the solution to the problem, not the obstacles in the way.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back