Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modified Services - Now no network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobaltikus

Technical User
Apr 15, 2004
US
Could someone tell me which Windows Services need to be enabled for a home network described below? Or how to undo my mistake?

I have WinXPPro on one PC, WinXPHome on another. They are both connected to the same Microsoft Wired Base Station which is connected to a DSL modem. It has been like this for about 4 months now and has worked fine as a home network. I could access either PC's shared files/printers from the other and both could access the internet. I modified some Windows Services in order to speed up performance and get rid of un-needed processes. I must have changed something that I shouldn't have because now I cannot access either PC from the other, but both still have access to the DSL modem and internet. I could do trial and error but I'm afraid of screwing things up even more. I have run the Home Network Wizard many times on both PCs, have the XP built in Firewalls on, and have opened the necessary ports for file/print sharing according to a support page on the M$ web site. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back