Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifications of database sturcture after splitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoviceITGuy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2003
US
Splitting the database is easy, but when it is split can new changes be made to the database? Can any one advice, in how do we incorporate changes in forms , queries and so on into the front end .... or even the table structure in the backend , as when the need arises.

Splitting the database does not prevent you from making edits. The forms, queries, etc. are modified the same as you would have prior to splitting.

The only big change is table structures. To edit table structures, you must open the backend and edit the table properties, etc. If you want to add a new table, do so in the backend and then create a link in the frontend to the table.

First, your users should not be accessing your "master copy" of the front-end database. Ideally, they should each have there own copy.

I have 3 folders: a production folder and a development folder and a training folder. The "master copy" of the front-end resides in the production folder. When I have to make changes to the front-end, I first copy the FE database to the development folder. This is where I make my changes. When I'm ready to "install" the new version, I move my "master copy" to a backup folder and move the database from the developement folder to the production folder. Users will then receive a new copy of the FE database.

The back-end database resides in the production folder. During testing/developing I move a copy of it to the development folder.

Thanks for the additional info, FancyPrairie. I neglected to mention the fact.

see thread181-30072

Also mentioned (in passing) in your other post (re splittiing) along with some other issues. Using "Advanced: search, some careful thing and a bit of patience will find at least some discussion of most of the ancillary topics I mentioned in that 'other' post.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back