Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeg13g

Technical User
Feb 1, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a tool or method whereby we can check the analogue ports in our V11 Definity to test whether there is a modem attached, as opposed to an analogue handset. We have been asked to do this to check whether any users are connecting unauthorised modems to allow indialling.

Depending on the analogue phoneset in most cases it will test OK and not give an error if you do a test station. Modems in most cases do give an error on the tip/ring test. This is what I remember, can't test now: no analogue modems in our building anymore :)
So try setting the field tests to yes in the station forms on page 1 and try testing the stations/modems with the test station xxxx command. Also check the alarms.
Good luck and let me know if this was complete bullocks and my memory failed me...
:-S

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

Home is were you end up when you've got nothing better to do

Cheers Maarten...your memory seems ok! Have tried the test on analogue modem and phone and get the results below which should let me differentiate between the two......

test station 6189 Modem

TEST RESULTS

Port Maintenance Name Alt. Name Test No. Result Error Code

01D0313 ANL-16-L 6189 35 ABORT 1018
01D0313 ANL-16-L 6189 48 ABORT 1018
01D0313 ANL-16-L 6189 36 PASS

test station 6259 Phone

TEST RESULTS

Port Maintenance Name Alt. Name Test No. Result Error Code

01D0704 ANL-16-L 6259 35 PASS
01D0704 ANL-16-L 6259 48 PASS
01D0704 ANL-16-L 6259 36 PASS

Hehe,

figured this out 5 years ago and never used it since! Seems alcohol isn't that bad for your brains after all! ;-)
ahum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back