Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modems with Cisco ATAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwebb

Technical User
May 12, 2005
US
I'm not sure if this forum is the correct one for my question, but here goes...
I am wondering if the Cisco ATAs are compatible with modem functions, i.e. data transfer between a PC connected to a PBX. I recently tried to perform remote programming through a laptop connected to a Cisco ATA to a PBX and could never get the connection to stay live. I used the same laptop on a trditional POTS line and it worked just fine. Any one have any ideas on a config or ideas for this problem?

The simple answer is yes...and no.

It is all dependent on the CODEC that is used on the ATA. If a G.711 (64 Kbps PCM) CODEC is in use, then the modem will work correctly. If a G.728 or G.729 CODEC is used, and they commonly are, then no joy.

If the vendor has any questions about how to configure the ATA, tell them that it is for a Group III fax machine. Then they should set it up to be a G.711 CODEC.

BTW, these are typically software settings. The G.728 and G.729 CODECS are typically used by default because the quality is reasonable, and the data rates are much lower.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back