Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modems don't work untill you run diagnostics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
We have 2 computers running Windows XP. When we try to dial out using a modem, the modems don't work. Next I open device manager, and run the diagnostic utility for the modem, which always works. Then the dial-up program works without a problem.
Has anyone seen this problem before in windows XP? We would like to be able to use the modem without always having to run diagnostics.
Would much appreciate any comments.

What brand/model modem? Where did you get the driver? Have you researched an updated driver?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

One of the modems is a Zoom external serial v92/56k. It came with a drivers CD that looks new, though it might not be up to date. I will look on the Zoom website to see if there is a newer driver available.

A standard 56k driver might also help.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Much appreciate the suggestion, and I will try the standard driver. (The driver downloaded from the internet was not as new as the one on the Zoom CD ROM.) Meanwhile, I found an easier way to activate the modem, that is by just turning it off and back on.
At least that is easier than having to run the diagnostics program each time!

Let me know if that works.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back