Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modems and Winfax pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberslug

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hello everyone,
I am on a Win2000 pro fax server
I have 2 modems(US Robotics 56k v.90) connected to it.

My problem is:

1.)One of my us robotics 56k modems hung while a client had just connected and was about to transmit a fax into my winfax 10.02. Now after removing and reinstalling the modem it says that the "port is open" whenever I query it.

2.)My winfax 10.02 (under modem and communications settings, properties,configurating) says that "the modem is busy and may be in use ".

I have tried removing and reinstalling the modems(redundant)
I have powered off and then back on(repeatedly).
I looked up the problem at Symantec knowledgebase(no worky).
A (have not done) alternative is to call the telephone company(They charge too much) to flush out the line.
Another (have not done) alternative is to call the Symantec cust support(They charge too ).

If anyone out there will help I would greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Before you physically removed the modem did you remove it from device manager first. win2k is probally still seeing the port from where you last removed it. try resetting the modem from the resources in device manager or from the US Robotics Modem software that the modem came with.

Hello everyone,
This is a Second Post to this problem

I am on a Win2000 pro fax server
I have 2 modems(US Robotics 56k v.90) connected to it.

My problem is:

1.)One of my us robotics 56k modems hung while a client had just connected and was about to transmit a fax into my winfax 10.02. Now after removing and reinstalling the modem it says that the "port is open" whenever I query it.
2.)My winfax 10.02 (under modem and communications settings, properties,configurating) says that "the modem is busy and may be in use ".

3.) It appears that my serial port may be bad, but I cannot be sure. I physically switched one(modem & rs232 cable) with the other and that is how I came to this conclusion.

Question:
Is there any way that I can test my serial port in order to positively absolutely conclude that the serial port is bad???

Appreciate any help or ideas or direction.

hi cyberslug-

is the port physical or virtual (is it set from BIOS, or windows defined)?

other thoughts,

if you were to disconnect the modem can you prove dialtone on the line? (hook a phone to the line...got tone?)

with the modem connected, with "open hook" condition present, can you disconnect the line from the modem then reconnect does it clear the line?

are there other USR products of like type or similiar model number? Try to remove all "like in kind" all at once, reboot, and reinstall.

Did you try as TechnoChick suggested? your thread died because you did not reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back