Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem wont detect dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitay101

Vendor
Jan 1, 2006
US

hello ,

i am using a creative modemblaster model di5655.

my problem is that when i try to dial my isp i get an error message that the modem does not detect a dial tone.

all my phones are on the hook and my diagnostics indicate the modem functions properly. the only way i can dial up the internet is to take a phone off the hook and get a dial tone first.

is my modem going south or is this a software glitch?
i have the latest drivers installed for windows xp.

thanks

Did your modem ever detect dial tone? If not, then you may want to set the "blind dial" option on the modem dial string.

I Windows, you can do this by:

Start
Settings
Control Panel
Phone and Modem Options
Select the Modems Tab
Select Modem
Press the Properties Button
Select the Modem Tab
Uncheck the Wait for dial tone before dialing checkbox

The modem will go off hook, and then dial whether it detects dialtone or not.

You can also achieve this by issuing the X1 or X3 command to the modem. As in: ATX3DT <phone number>

pansophic

WHAT I CAN RECOMMEND FOR THIS ISSUE IS TYPING THIS INIT STRING IN THE ADVANCED TAB WHERE IT SAYS EXTRA INITIALIZATION STRING " AT,," (WHITHOUT QUOTES,MAKE SURE THE LETTERS ARE IN CAPITOL)

* TO GET THERE FOLLOW THE STEPS IN THE PREVIOUS SUGGESTION AND INSTEAD OF MODEMS CLICK "ADVANCED"

GOOD LUCK!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF THAT DOESN'T WORK I CAN PROVIDE YOU WITH ANOTHER INIT STRING.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back