Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem will not detect dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabz

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
US
i'm working on a computer that has a Lucent modem that seems to not pick up a dial tone, its very strange when dialing through dial up network to a random number such as my cell phone it calls it, but when I try to dial a number through something like MSN it tells me it can not detect a dial tone. The owner of the PC orginally thought it was the modem so he went and bought one that was identical to it. And it was doing the same thing, this is when he brought it to me, I thought maybe it had something to with the drivers so I downloaded the specific drivers for it and it still does not work, Please help. thanks.

Have you tried making a fresh Dial Up Networking connection and deleting the old one?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

You might try re-installing dial-up networking and re-installing the MSN connection software. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I tried that and it still doesnt work, i'm completely stumped right now, thanks though for the response

have you tried unchecking the wait for dial tone setting in the modem properties.

yeah, when I did that it was able to call my cell phone but still not connect to the internet through an online service

So let's be clear about this... You can make a Dial Up Network icon, and clicking on it will ring your cell phone number. However, doing exactly the same thing but using your ISP phone number instead, and it won't pick up dial tone and start dialing???

ROGER - GØAOZ.

You got it!!, I have tried so much I'm lost...

After testing that the DUN icon will ring your cellphone, rather than create a new icon have you tried altering the telephone number to that of your ISP?

I don't want to know the full number of your cellphone or ISP, but what are say the first 5 digits of each number? Do you need to put in any access or exit codes to get a line out of your building, i.e. dial 9 first for an exchange line? Do you have "Use telephone dialing properties" box ticked? Do you have the "Area code rules" box enabled or active? When I make a new DUN icon, I go back afterwards and UNTICK any of these boxes and put the full telephone number to dial (with any appropriate prefix codes) in the one box.

I don't have any other thoughts on this one I'm afraid...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back