Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem will not connect to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2001
US
Okay, here is the problem. I purchased a Hewlitt Packard computer for my daughter. It will call out on a telephone but will not sign on to AOL.

I downloaded "Modem Docter" and it reports that the DTE is running to fast and needs to be locked.

I have been around computers and have never encountered this type problem. How do you lock the DTE????

vhudson1998@aol.com

Thank you for your help!

Set the port speed of the com the modem is using to 57,600. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Well Jim....It did not work. Anymore Suggestions????

vhudson1998@aol.com

How about reinstalling AOL from scratch?
I really don't know squat about AOL, but I do know modems, and this sounds more like a software problem.
Doesn't AOL provide (cough) tech support? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim...AOL REEKS! They are not any help at all. Does this make a difference

My modedm shows to be on port 4 but in the device manger there is only port and 2, and of course the printer port. If this is the problem..How can I change ports!!!

If it's a winmodem, it creates it's own virtual port, so it won't show up in device mangler.
Read a few of my other posts in this forum on how to correctly install/upgrade a winmodem. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back