Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem V90 Standard How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fingolfin

Programmer
May 25, 2001
DE
Hi, I want to update my Modem (V34 Standard) to V90 but it's a noname Modem (Interspeed), I didn't find them in the net.
How can I update it. Have I to use a firmware or is there another way?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the bad english)

Yes, you need a firmware (flash) update.
If the manufacturer can't be found, you're pretty much out of luck.
Pull the modem, and write down everything you can find on it, numbers, names, anything on the PC board itself, especially an FCC ID# or a BABT #.
Does this look familiar:
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

for more info re your modem go to Start > settings > control panel > modems > diagnostics > More info (while your modem is not connected)...btw some modems do not have flashable roms...

On the modem itself I only found "Made in Taiwan" and V1456VQE.

The Windows-Daignostic revrealed this:

Connection: COM1
Interrupt: 4
Adress: 3F8
UART: NS 16550AN
Max.: 115K (it is a 56K modem)

V1456VQE-R 56K MODEM PnP

SERENUM\AKY1007

AT1 255
AT2 ok
AT3 V1.009-K56_DLS
AT4 a007840284C6002F
bC60000000
r1005111151012000
r3000111170000000
ATI5 022
ATI6 RCV56DPF L8570A Rev.30.1/30.1
ATI7 000
AT+FCLA... 0,1,1.0

By the way, The packaging says it's updatable.

Sorry for the second posting, but a third one I can't remember ?!? My fault, it will not be happen again, I just thought of posting in the false forum!

The Site seems to be the right one, but there are two possible downloads, a driver and a firmware update.

Since I use AOL I think I don't need the driver installed?!?

Should I only use the Firmware Update now?

Start with the firmware update.
Make sure it's the right one, and don't force the flash if you get any error!
You probably don't need a new driver, but it's advisable. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

OK Thanks for your help. I have one last question to be asked (maybe I should have asked it a bit earlier ;-))

I'm using AOL and only know that the update to V90 would make my modem faster. Is this right or are there other advantages or disadvantages?

The update to V.90 will (theoretically) make it faster, but AOL has such poor servers, and your phone lines may not be the newest, so you may not get any speed increase. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back