Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem use as Answering Machine and Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I have a Motorola SM56 Fax, voice, speakerphone modem. Only problem is software won't recognise a phone call. I've used several software products - I can FAX, receive FAXes, dial out, connect to a free dial-up ISP, everything but connect to a call coming in with voice answering machine.

Is this a modem problem? I've had problems with the modem drivers, and have also tried several of these to no avail. Motorola is no help - they've pretty much abandoned the users of this modem. There are driver downloads, but no real help here.

I'm about to buy a new modem - I think I'll get the Creative Labs Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5631. Any other suggestions?

I forgot to mention that I really have no need to use the modem as a dial-up connector - I use a cable modem. Thanks.

Yes, its likely with that piece of junk. We used to sell these a couple years ago, discovered that to get pcanywhere to recognize an incoming call with the sm56's, we had to update drivers. Try here, if you already haven't

I highly recommend a REAL modem, not some Winmodem PCI piece of junk. I use Accura Hayes External models. One can be had on Ebay for under $30 usually. Search for hayes external modem. Make sure its serial, not usb.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Sound like the Hayes is a good choice after checking other sources too. Now - I have a couple free serial ports open - they have 9-pin connectors - is this what I need to connect to the Modem?

Yes, but you might have to track down a cable, and adapter, or both. Get one and deal with the connections from your local computer parts store. You can also get good cables at
Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I bought the Hayes external V.92 modem and the answering machine software works. Either the Motorola SM56 was faulty or incorrectly installed - not all contacts in contact or something. I'll be going inside to put in a NIC card and new hard drive and I'll check on it then.

Thanks again. Oh and the modem came with all the cables and it works wonderfully for Caller ID.

I doubt it was just faulty or improperly installed, just a cheap device. Most winmodems are that way. The only internal modems that work good are ISA, but they are pretty much a dead, architecturally speaking. The exteranls are great. Glad it worked out for you.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back