Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem to Router issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlamo

MIS
Mar 14, 2007
US
I realize I might be in the wrong place since I do not believe my question falls under this catagory but I thought maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have a US Robotics modem that all the default dip switches are thrown including auto-answer however when it is attached to my Adtran Router and I dial into it the phone just rings and rings. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks ahead for any responses.

Hmm, Have you looked here:
forum461

Are you talking about a VOIP setup, or something else? If the issue seems to be more with the Telephony side of things, I'd suggest starting in the above forum.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

no VoIP just a simple console session into an Adtran Router. The Modem is in Auto-Answer but the Router is not picking up. This is a typical Hyper-Term configuration I would think.

The Adtran doesn't send an answer command (ATA) to the modem. The modem has to auto-answer.... I would double-check the dip switches. If the modem isn't going offhook at all, it's something on the modem, not the Adtran.

When you dial the modem, you should see the "AA" light blinking with each ring. If you don't, then you may have an REQ issue; where not enough voltage is getting to the modem on ring to trip the circuit.

By default, the modem is NOT set to auto-answer. If all of the dip switches are in the "Default" settings, then you should just have to flip the AA dip switch to the "other" state.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I read somewhere I need a Null Modem cable, is that correct?

Not if you're connecting to a modem. A null-modem cable crosses over if you're connecting two DCE devices directly. (taking the modem out of the loop, therefore "null modem")

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back