Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Sugg. for win 2k pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyA

Technical User
Jun 5, 2003
US
i've got a lucent win modem (pci) on com 3 and i need to add another modem. 1st will dial out and 2nd will be incoming thru winfax 10.0
wasn't sure if i added same modem, if it would cause a problem..
and
do yu know any issues that may crop up putting 2 modems in win2k pro? i guess i'm asking is this going to turn in a 2 day issue from the start.

ty in advance,

billya

ty very much

i purchased a off wall brand 12.00, threw it in rebooted loaded driver and on com 4 seems to work just fine..

suppose yu can't load 2 of the same modems ?

billya

Actually, you can't load 2 Win Modems. You can have any number of controller-based modems, but the Win Modems are controllerless, and just broadcast down the PCI bus. If there are two modems in the machine, they can't tell which data is intended for which modem.

Externals and ISA modems are always safe. With PCI modems you have to be more careful (most are controllerless, and very inexpensive because of it). I've been doing some work with the USB modems, and it appears that you can put any number of USB modems on a Windows box as well.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back