Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem still slow at 50kpbs in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

siers

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
AU
I'm starting to get really desperate now, I'm running out of solutions!!
We recently upgraded our server to Slackware 8.0 (from 7.1) which is fair enough, and as in the past, when the modem is turned off or the machine is rebooted, it looses it's fast transfer speeds (everytime it connected at 506667bps, and had good transfer speeds of 4-6kbps), still connects at 506667bps, but the transfer speed drops to 500 bytes/sec, which is not good!
usually, the problem was that the modem cannot handle data compression and flow control in linux (unbeknowns to me why?!?!) and by going into minicom putting in pppscript at%c0-k0&k0 to disable both data compression and error correction fixed the problem.
Until now. It has decided not to work properly and I'm stumped on why at such a good connect speed (for a dial-up) can't provide good transfer speeds (and it not the ISP, being a permanent connection). The serial port is UART 16550A, baud rate of 115200, etc.
Any reply is appreciated, even if to say you have read this!!!
Thanks heaps in advance. I will keep on checking back to provide more info as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back