Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem speeds through M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumpus

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2001
US
Hello,

I was asked what modem speeds to expect through our PBX. A modem call will dial in to a DID that reoutes through a T-1 then terminates on an analog station (500 set).

Thanks in advance,

Gumpus

Nortel will only guarantee 9k6, but I have run 56k modems without any issues & they do run at the same speed as for POTS lines

Thanks for the quick reply!

And what about incoming calls to modem?
I get max. speed 33.6Kbps.
Any ideas?

GUMPUS,What vintage card do you have? I discovered that any analog card NT8D09XX with a vintage of BA or later will run 56K, anything prior may or may not.

If it terminates on an analog station, whatever is answering it can only do 33.6. The only way to get faster than 33.6 is to have the modem call terminate into a device that is connected via a T1 interface or a BRI interface (i.e. all digital into the access server device.) When you dial in to an ISP or other big 'server' farm, you are connecting at a high-speed 'down', but the maximum from the remote modem to the 'host' will always be 33.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back