Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem speed problems in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickjbud

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
GB
Hi all

I recently installed XP Pro on my PC (1Ghz Amd Athlon, 512mb ram, Ambient HaM v90 data fax voice modem) and was having a shutdown problem which turned out to be the drivers I was using for my modem. These drivers were for Win2000 and the only ones on the disk that came with the modem that XP recognised (it did not recognise the XP drivers on the disk nor all the numerous other ones that I downloaded from the Net).

I did eventually find a driver that my modem automatically recognised but this turned out to be for the V92 model but it worked and XP had no more shutdown problems, however when the modem was driven by the Win2000 drivers I had connection speeds around 45-49kbps consistently and now with the V92 drivers my modem is only connecting at 28.8kbps.

I have seen on this and other sites something about entering a string to force the modem to run as a v90. However I am not sure where to put this string nor what it does. I have been putting it in the text box "Extra intitialization commands" in the modem properties area but this as no effect when reconnecting.

Can someone direct me to a site where I can download the correct V90 drivers and/or advise me on getting my connection speed back up to normal?

I have tried nearly all the drivers on DriverGuide.com but none of these seem to work correctly. The V92 drivers I got from the Intel site. I have also tried to reinstall the Win2000 drivers but now I get an error message saying that I have hardware problems.

Thanks for any help that I may recieve

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back