Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Speaker Not shutting off 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze66568

Technical User
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hey, My modem speaker isnt shutting off. I went into the device mangr. and went into the modem properties and moved the modem speaker slider to off but it still is on. and the unusual thing is it will still continue to make that god awful squacking sound even after it connects. I think it might be the driver because i didnt have the original driver for it so i had to download one, but i could be wrong.

Thanks
Steve

The conextant generic drivers don't turn off the speaker on some softk56 cards.

I have a 14F1 2015 HSF noname model.

The Aopen FM56-SM drivers (at Aopens site) do turn the speaker off for my conextant rs56-pci chip.

But you need to replace the [HSF_MODEM] section in the Aopens MasterEnumerator .inf file with the [HSF_MODEM] section from the conextant generic drivers MasterEnumerator .inf file otherwise some cards won't get recognized by windows when trying to install the drivers.

In one of the .inf files there is a MasterEnumerator line.
That is the .inf file to edit.

Also the [HSF_MODEM] section has PCIFriendlyName lines in it.
That is the section to replace.

This works for Win9x and WinMe I hav'nt tried XP or 2000.

For other conextant chip models it may work with the corresponding Aopen drivers for that chip.

You can also put a dummy plug (not attached to speakers) into the speaker out socket to stop the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back