Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem, soundcard and mouse issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

conjurer111

Programmer
Aug 11, 2002
IN
Hi,

I have installed Red Hat 8 and am having the following problems.

I have an internal 56K modem manufacturer- PCTel. How do I install its drivers from the installation/ drivers CD.

The soundcard in my computer is onboard, the motherboard being Intel 845 GVAD. How do I install the soundcard. Which one to select from the available list as I seem to find no compatible one.

I have a 3 button Logitech Scroll Mouse(PS/2) and during installation I had selected the Microsoft IntelliMouse. The problem was that the scroll feature was never there. Everything was working fine until I tried to fiddle with the mouse settings to enable the scrolling. Now the problem is that in the GUI, I have the mouse fixed onto the centre of the screen and it doesn't move at all. I tried to reconfigure it but it remained the same. What can I do to fix it.

Thanks.

If your driver disk is windows then it's useless......best to search google on how to set-up your modem.

As for the mouse, go back to the GUI setting for the mouse and change it to a simple 2 button mouse (so you can at least point and click) and then edit your XF86Config file (it's in /etc/X11)....again, google should be able to find the amendments you need to make to get you going

IMO, Redhat's graphical X-configurator leaves a lot to be desired and often doesn't work. Try learning the basics of the XF86Config file......it'll be an invalueable skill for the future ;-)

Here is the mouse section from my /etc/X11/XF86Config file. I use /dev/gpmdata as a repeated device from gpm. I have a Logitech 3-button+wheel PS/2 mouse. The Emulate3Buttons and ZAxisMapping are necessary for mouse wheel functionality.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Your drivers disc is not useless if it's Windows. Many discs ship as Windows discs but do contain Linux drivers buried in the directory tree. Have a look. If you still can't find Linux drivers then google for them.

Your onboard sound card will probably require you to rebuild the kernel. In the kernel configuration there is a special section for multimedia/sound devices. Know as much about the identities of your motherboard chipset and onboard audio chipset. If you can't find a match know as much as you can about other chips which were compatible with yours. If you still can't find a decent match then enable only the first entry (audio support) and the OSS sound modules section, but make no specific selections. If there are no Linux drivers for your sound card you will need to google.

Detailed documentation at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back