Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem software won't install on NT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2k1981

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
IE
I'm running NT 4 (SP 4) on a 486. The PC is too old to take an internal modem so I've had to resolve to using a modem thru the printer port. The problem is the software won't install for me.

I've gone into modems in Control Panel to install a new modem and I select "don't detect..." - then I enter the location of the installation files and when it comes to select the port, you chose "Selected Ports" or "All Ports" - if I choose Selected Ports, there's no ports to chose from and the next button is disabled. So I chose all ports and click finish... then that's it. Next time I go into modems it's the same thing all over again, the modem hasn't installed.

Why is this happening? First I tried this while the modem was connected the the PC etc, then I tried it with the modem plugged out. Can anybody help me out here... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

y2k1981,

You cannot install a modem through the printer (parallel) port. You can, however, install one through the serial port(s). The parallel ports are designated LPTx and the serial ports are designated COMx.

NT has been very strange about recognizing this type of hardware when it is installed. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. It sounds as if yours did not, so you need to go to Control Panel, then select Ports. You will need to add COM1 and COM2 (if you have a second serial port). Accept all of the default settings for your COM ports. You will be prompted to restart, I believe. If not, you have to restart in order to have NT recognize the ports.

Once NT recognizes the fact that these ports exist, you should be able to install your modem software on the COM port that you attach to your modem.

FYI, on 486s the two COM ports were frequently a DB-9 male for COM1 and a DB-25 male for COM2. The DB-25 female connector is your parallel port, LPT1.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back