Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem slows computer way down

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielLee

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
MX
Hi,

I have a “Shuttle Hot 555a” motherboard with a Pentium MMX CPU at 200Mhz.
I just installed a Intel Internal 56K PCI modem (FCC Req No- 5RJF B00B AMI IA92 s/n- F00827E2H002584) and the system is running very slowly when the modem is in use.

I have checked the I/O, IRQ resource settings and I can’t see any conflict.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, the drivers are the latest and the program seems to be installed correctly.

I was going to flash the BIOS but I can’t see anything in the update that would help me (current BIOS Award v4.51PG (555WIQ09) update available is 555W1Q0B.

I know this is a soft modem and takes power from the CPU for it to work, but does it take so much power that the computer slows to a virtual crawl?

Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening?

Any assistance appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Daniel

"Five minutes at a time"

Yes, winmodems or lite modems will slow everything down.
they are the pit's. Modems are not that expensive, dump the winmodem and get one with an onboard controller and a digital signal Processor (DSP) as well if you can.
E.G. Some Hayes Zoom and US Robotics models. check with your supplier.
As a general rule "Controller based" modems are at least 2 to 3 times more expensive, in europe anyway.

Hopr this helps

PC

Guest is correct.

The main issue with cheap PCI modem sis that do not have on-board controller.

There are taking CPU resources.
Your best bet if you have an old system is to get an ISA modem, this will cure your problem.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back