Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem sharing for PC Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2002
US
Can anyone point me in the right direction to share a 56K external modem from my Windows 2000 server between 2 or 3 desktop pc's. I only want to use the modem for dialup PC Anywhere connections to clients. I do not want it for internet access as my network currently has a DSL connection.

Any ideas?

i'm sorry could you please explain a little more about what you want to do? thanks.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

OK. I want to have one modem connected to my Windows 2000 server accessable by 3 other computers via their network connection. I will ONLY use the modem for PC Anywhere dial out connections to support clients remotely. This will allow us to use centrally stored database of PC Anywhere dial up locations accessable by all from their individual computers. We do not need this connection "always on" only on demand when the support need comes up.

Does that help?

yeah, that helps. well, i haven't used pc anywhere but i have used VNC which is alot like it. when useing this the pc that you wanted to connect to needed to have the vnc program installed and running. is this the same as pc anywhere? either way, this is not your question.

from my network and internet experience, i really wouldn't think this was possible without alot of programing and "tweaking" of the pc anywhere program itself. i do know that when "dailing out" on a computer/server after a network connection was already established will result in the next browser to open useing the dail-up connection even though thay are both (network and dail-up) active. however, this will not be accomplished when connecting from client to server. i'm sorry this probably doesn't help you, but since i ask you to explain a little more i thought i'd throw my two cents in.

also, i'm sure you've used pc anywhere before, but have you used it on a dail-up connection? remote connections on dail-up are pretty slow and unreliable. this would be even more so if the connection would be somehow set-up the way you want it to be. i would probably look into remotely connecting from the tech's pc's to the users, but then again does pc anywhere somehow not need to be running on the remote pc?

[americanflag]

You are correct. PC Anywhere is installed on each Tech's PC and runs locally from there. I currently have the clients PCA remote control information in a shared folder on the server so all can access from their individual PC's. I would prefer NOT to install modems on each tech's PC if I can actually "share" one modem from the 2000 server.

As many of the clients ONLY have dial-up connectivity and in many cases have been receiving their software support via PC Anywhere in the past, this is the support solution we must continue to provide.

Sharing a modem from the server is simple using ICS but I don't want constant on connection. I really only want dial on demand based on the PC accessing the modem at that particular time.

Is this possible?

yeah, ICS would be the way to go however you're not wanting a constant connection. is there a reason you want to use dail-up to connect and not the connection they are useing in the first place? is it bandwidth reasons? i'm sorry i can't be of much help since you have you mind set on the way you want it to work. maybe someone else here can. good luck!

[americanflag]

I need to use dial up because the clients we support with PC Anywhere only have dial up connectivity.

Hopefully someone else will have done this type of sharing and have some ideas for me. Thanks for your time and input thus far.

hold on. you shouldn't have to have the same connection type. is it different with pc anywhere or something? as long as there is a tcp/ip connection it SHOULD be fine.

[americanflag]

Nope - Sorry, I wasn't clear. The clients are not at my location. They are spread out state wide - thus the need for dial up (telephone) connectivity.

ok, keeping in mind that i haven't used pc anywhere before, no matter where the client is and how they are connected to the internet, it should never matter. as long as they are connected online AND you have the program running (as do they), the remote connection is always by thier IP adress. even if the "client" is dail-out or on a t-1 as long as the tcp/ip connectivity is there you can do it. problem is, however, when trying to connect through a network router. there needs configuration to be done, but very possible.

example: i have VNC (alot like pc anywhere) running on my home pc. i manage a dail-up/wireless ISP. when i'm on a "tester" laptop in the middle of the country, i can connect through the browser to my pc at home and completely take it over.

i'm not trying to be a smartbutt, but if thats not possible in your case please educate me. thanks

[americanflag]

OK, I think I understand how your VNC works but I don't know how that would work with PC Anywhere. This process of PCA is a direct analog modem to analog modem connection.

For a PCA connection, My "Remote" PC's modem has to dial the telephone connected to the "Host" PC. PCA answers the call within the preset number of rings and loads an interface to allow me to run the clients computer as if I was sitting in front of it. IE: I have their desktop reflected in a window on my computer.

When I finish the session I "End remote control", my PC disconnects the telephone connection and their PC awaits another PCA call. There is never any TCP/IP information exchanged and no browser is ever used.

PCA can be set to run over TCP/IP as long as the "host" pc has a static IP exposed to the internet. To connection via TCP/IP uses ports 5631 and 5632 and the "Hosts" IP address must be set on the "remote" PC to provide connectivity.

I may be missing something in understanding how your VNC program works. What type of connection do you make and if you are calling your system at home via telephone where do you get an IP address?

I'm still confused???

i would know my IP address either by static or the 24 hour lease (that really don't change anyway). in my example i was explaining (but left alot out) that at home i'm connected with cable internet (but wouldn't really matter) and i can be in the middle of a field or something on my laptop and get our wireless signal and connect to my home pc and take it over, with VNC it would only be running on the remote pc and if you want to connect to it you would need to type the IP address in the browser with port 5800. if its password protected then enter it and viola!

is see now why you need to dail-up to connect. thanks for explaining it. you could however do it alot easier (only my opinion) by allowing the connections like i was explaining. but thats me. ;-)

[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back