Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Remote Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtw102

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
US
I am writing a script to interact with a modem. I have my modem set with the E0 and F1 hayes commands to not echo anything locally, because I want all of the input, including what is typed on the local keyboard, to be from the data that is echoed by the remote host. When the program runs, data sent by the remote host is OK, but data typed locally that is echoed by the remote host sometimes gets lost. Why would this be? Is there anything I can do on the local end to improve the echo from the remote host?

I hope I've been descriptive enough.

Thanks!

How is the remote modem echoing what you type to yourself? Is it a controlling program at the remote site that you've configured to echo data back? As this is not something that you can configure the remote modem to do itself.
My next questions are is the remote program something you've written? Is the remote program polling the serial port or is it interrupt driven?

"The reward of patience is patience"
-St. Augustine

I'm not sure why you don't want the offline commands echoed (E0), but as long as you haven't set Q1, you will get response codes to your commands, so it should be OK. As far as certain information not being echoed, that is not necessarily uncommon, it depends on the application that you are contacting on the remote end. For instance, no application will echo password characters. The app may or may not echo a replacement character, like a '*.'

Have you used a terminal emulator like Hyperterminal to test this manually and determine if the data is actually being dropped, or if the data is never echoed in the first place.
pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back