Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem question (No its not a winmodem- completely hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpdvx

Programmer
Dec 1, 2001
US
Hi, in Windows it is located on "COM 3". It's a Cardinal 28.8k hardware modem. I have used this modem before in Slackware w/ no problems- but now (in RedHat 7.2) the modem cannot be detected, and when i try selecting the ports on which it is locaed, it either says that the modem is busy, or unavailable. Can anyone help me here?

I'm no very familiar with Red Hat, but I had a related problem after upgradind to Slackware 7.0 and using the KDE destop. I was starting pppd from /etc/rc.d/rc.local so kppp reported the modem as busy. If I killed the pppd daemon, then kppp wold work. starting ppp wit the -d option suited my needs even bette, providing demand dialing from the command line for things like Lynx. So I never did get the pap, login, user, password configured for kppp.

Also, if it's a PCI (maybe applicable tp PNP, but I skipped from jumpered hardware to PCI) there may be some differences which order the devices are detected/assigned resources. Look at the file /proc/pci. (Command line try cat /proc/pci | less, or any text editor, even an X text editor) This will tell you all your pci devices, but I hope you would recognize your modem by the brand or chipset name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back