Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem problems Win98 cant find my Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johno5

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2001
GB
I have got a Pc133 M758LMR+ Mobo and I can't get the enclosed Modem to configure.
I have tried with and without jumpers (pins 1&2, 2&3) Windows 98 can't locate the modem and comes up with a msgBox-
check modem is connected/power on
check connected to a working tel line.
I've tried everything can any-one help me please?

Some newer modems are just a pain. Sometimes they show up as unknown PCI devices in the Device Manager section of the control panel (system icon).

You sometimes have to remove the device and reinstall the driver and play with them a bit to get windows to recognize it as a modem. My Actiontech call-waiting modem is like that. It can be a pain. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

If this is an On-Board modem, make sure you have it enabled in the BIOS and check the Device Manager to see if it shows up and if it does make sure you have the newest driver installed for it.

You also might want to try just deleting the modem driver all together and see if you can get the system to recognize it on a reboot and go from there. Don't Be afraid to try NEW things with your computer, they can always be fixed somehow. And Remember "Don't Worry About It"

I'll try to help if I can, but I'm only HUMAN.

if you can get a copy of windows 2000, this will probably solve your problem. i havent tried xp yet, but driver support for 2k is awesome.

do you still have the cd that came with your motherboard? you may have to install something for 98 to recognize the modem.

and what the others said, make sure its enabled in bios, remove the device in dev mgr, etc. You could also buy an external usb modem, they are pretty good, but not as good as a cable modem ;)

Sure, your $5 modem won't work, so go and buy a $150 operating system for it (which BTW, probably won't solve your problem).
Boot to safe mode.
Remove all modems and com ports in device manager.
Restart, reinstall.
If windows doesn't detect it on boot up, run the add new hardware wizard.
Have the drivers disk handy. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back