Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jereece

Technical User
Jun 15, 2002
US
I have a brand new cheap winmodem. I installed the software per the instructions, then installed the modem. The instructions said I had to install the software first. Windows 98 detected the new modem, installed the driver and all looked just fine. However, it won't work. When I go into Control Panel / Modems, it says that the modem is installed on Com3, not Com2 as I am used to. I clicked on Diagnostics, then Info and it says the port is already open. I tried deleting Com2, I tried deleting the modem entry and allowing Windows to re-install, I tried to manually set the modem resources to Com2 (won't let me). Nothing seems to work. There are no conflicts, so I am not sure what's wrong. I looked in the Bios to see if I could disable Com3, but did not see a way to do that. I looked at the motherboard manual and it did not indicate any way manually to disable Com3. The Bios has all the PCI setting to Auto, so I am not sure why the modem won't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Is this by any chance a Conexant modem, if so see my FAQ
faq602-2013
Internal modems do not install on an existing physical port, they are a port in themselves, so if you have a physical COM 2 it will go to COM 3 or 4. As COMs 1 and 3 share resources it can be a problem if you have a device on COM 1 and the modem goes to 3. I have once or twice had to get over this by using add / remove hardware to install COM 3 as a physical port, although without actually putting in any hardware. I then removed and reinstalled the modem which was forced to COM 4 where it worked fine All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back