Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Hi,

I am currently installing a desktop fax solution in the office, and I seem to be having a problem with getting the software to detect the modem.

The modem is a Multitech MT5634ZBA V.92 external USB, and it shows up in device manager and is installed correctly.

The modem was on COM3 - When I scanned, it said "COM3: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (0x20)."

So i disconnected and reconnected it - then it said "the process cannot find the file specified"

So I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it on another USB port, (which moved the modem to COM4) - yet I have the same issue.

There is nothing that should be using the modem, any suggestions as to how I can check what the process is being used by or any other tips to solve my predicament?

Thanks in advance

Systems Administrator
BSc Network Computing, CCNA. Both in training! :)

When you plug the modem in, go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Phone and Modem Options. Double-click on your modem and go to the Diagnostics tab. Press the Query button.

Verify that you can communicate with the modem.

Also, check to see that you don't have any Fax software running.

pansophic

I would agree with the previous post, but I would Look for any software in the startup group 1st to see if it is grabbing the Com not just limiting it to fax software but yes they are a Cuplruit some times a great way to do that with a windows box is MSCONFIG and disable the items One by one and re-boot and see if the problem goes away if it does then you have the problem, if it doesn't you just re-enable it in msconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back