Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem probelm since upgrade to W2k Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

startacc

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
IE
Hope someone can help with this one. I upgrade to W2k Pro. recently and my internal modem no longer works. I have a Gateway Solo laptop.
During the upgrade a default modem was installed which I have removed and installed a standard 56k V90 modem which is what I have in the laptop. The installation takes place fine but the modem fails to be recognised during the dial-up process or when I do a diagnostics on it.
Any ideas all you wise owls?
Many thanks
Kevin.

You need W2K drivers for your modem. You can leave your laptop to install the modem it detects and test it. If it works don't fix it.

I have heard that some laptops have ISA modems internally, and that Win2K Pro does not support ISA modems. My Compaq Presario 1260's modem will not work in Win2K - cannot assign resources, even manually.

Thanks to all for your help. I will try this out and let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back