Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem port problem under XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudajani

MIS
Oct 12, 2003
JO
Hi All,
I have a soft56k modem (TrendNet TFM-560PCI) under XP Pro. The problem is that sometimes for no apparent reason the modem hangs when trying to open a port to dial out, and then i have to cold boot the machine to free the port again (restarting doesn't free the port!). There's no real pattern for this problem, sometimes it happens on the first dial, sometimes i dial and hang up several times before it occurs.
I tried several solutions: Updated the driver (Now XP sees it as soft56k instead of generic 56k) but the problem persisted. Added AT&F init string. Checked for conflicting IRQ's. Still can't pinpoint the reason or find a workaround.
Suggestions? Comments? Please help.

Been awhile since I used a modem [tongue] but do they have a power control setting lke a nic? On the NIC is says something like "allow Windos to power down this device when not needed". If so, turn that off.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi j,
That option is disabled. i can only select (Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby). I experimented with standby mode (disabled it one piece of hardware at a time), now only the monitor powers down, but still the problem persists.

It could be a shared IRQ problem .
If it's a PCI card look in the motherboard guide
to find a PCI slot that dont share IRQ with another slot.Or use one that shares IRQ with something not used.

Device Manager reports the modem in working fine.
System Information doesn't list the modem's IRQ as shared/conflicting.

Did you try removing the Modem from Device Manager and letting Windows rediscover it (Make a System Restore point first).

The same could be tried with the Communication Ports.

Maybe the modem is faulty. Can you try another external one that you could borrow and install to see if that has problems too.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

ok, tried removing the modem and the ports and then reinstalling them. and ran the sys file check. the modem is still hanging, i didn't try another modem for the lack of one. but i doubt it's a hardware issue or the problem would have a more defined pattern, right??? the problem is that the modem doesn't always close the port right. can i force it to do that every time (like an AT command or .bat file that frees the port)?

On your modem the command you would need to send would be either

AT H1 or
AT H0

One should work for completly hanging up the modem. You can enter the commands in the Hyper Terminal software.

Whether this will close the port correctly only you can say.

It is also worth pointing out that the manufacturers of this modem have now discontinued supporting it. They also do not reccommend it's use in Windows Xp despite the availability of XP Drivers.

My Advice to you would be to spend £20 and get a new Xp Compatible Modem.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Hi Greg,
Thanx for the AT commands i'll try them out ASAP. It's not the $20 i'm worried about, i just want this d@mn thing to work, and unless the hardware is damaged i'm gonna try everything possible. YES, I'M THAT STUBBORN! Besides, what better way is there to learn how much windows REALLY sucks?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back